August 30, 2015

Treasure Chest



I've been on the prowl for a nice set of silver plate flatware for a little while now. So when I came across this Birks Regency Plate chest of treasures for $300.00 last week on Kijiji - I pounced! A total of  86 pieces with  luncheon and dinner service for 8. The serving pieces and letter opener were the icing on the cake. It was polished and in beautiful condition when I picked it up. I can't wait to use it!

 

Coincidently, a couple of years ago Andrew received a Birks sterling bottle opener from my mom as a Christmas gift in the same pattern, Louis de France.


Some often hesitate to use their silver because it's 'too hard to clean'. Nonsense! I've polished over 20 pieces in no more than half and hour. My trick? Goddard's Silver Polish Foam. Trust me.

We like to integrate some silver pieces every time we entertain just for something special. Even if it's a casual jeans and sweaters type of a get-together we like to put it to good use. The toast holder holds napkins, the creamers contain salad dressing, that kind if idea.


Formalities such as silver or china seem to be a dying tradition... What do you use when entertaining for a special occasion? Pull out the old china set and maybe someone's wedding silver? Or is that a thing of the past for you? Do tell!!