December 18, 2011

Traditions at Christmas

The scent of Thymes 'Frasier Fir' candles are always swirling around our house this time of year.
 My mom has been hosting Christmas eve for family and friends for over 25 years. It's a fun, food-filled evening that everyone seems to really look forward to. As for my own traditions, Andrew and I collect ornaments for our tree. Each year we unpack them again and recall when and where we acquired each special one. 
Some Tiffany crystal ornaments add extra sparkle to our tree. The snowflake was purchased on our recent trip to NYC.

I've had a growing collection of these Wedgwood Jasperware ornaments since I was a teenager. I just love the matte finish and creamy blue color.

Copernicus, a beloved rat friend from my childhood, always makes it into the tree to observe Christmas.
Any bird-type ornament is always a favorite with Andrew who is an avid bird enthusiast. This duck is from our stay in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.
We're trying to incorporate some Victorian recipes into our Christmas. This book by Anna Selby is a wonderful look into the social history of Victorians at this time of year.
The perfect day for decorating!